Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Four Years of Blogging and a New Year!


Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that I wrote a 3rd Blogiversary post about how I'd neglected this blog and hoped to get back on track in 2013? No. It was over a year ago. It's already 2014. Really? Wow. Where does time go?

I had good intentions back on December 27, 2012 but my "getting back on track" only lasted two or three months. If not for a This Week in the Family History series I resurrected from 2010, there wouldn't have been anything going on here the past few months. Heck, I even forgot my 4th Blogiversary last week until I saw it on the Geneabloggers calendar.

It's no big mystery why my blogging has stalled. My research has stalled. It's that simple. Oh sure, there is plenty of material in my tree if I went digging around for it but it's just more fun to write about the new stuff. So. I need to devote some time to looking for new stuff and the blogging will happen.

What I also need is better time management skills. In 2013, I took on the job of chairing the Kentucky Genealogical Society's Technology Committee. That turned into giving several presentations for 2nd Saturdays and putting together a monthly newsletter. My KGS volunteer time will only increase in 2014 with the office of Vice President which includes chairing the Program Committee.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I don't have time for genealogy because I'm spending some time doing society work. I'm saying I waste too much time when it's my own research and not some deadline I need to meet that affects others. (BTW, no matter how big the Internet gets, I believe genealogists will always need societies and they can't operate without volunteers. If you aren't active in your local or state society, it's time to get involved.)

I'm going to make time for research in 2014.

Wish me luck. And have the happiest new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment