Sunday, June 9, 2013

Conferences and Research

I love genealogy conferences. I love genealogy research. I especially love it when I can combine the two.

Over the past few years, I've attended several national and regional conferences and most of them have been in areas where I could add on a few research days somewhere on the road. 


FGS 2013 won't require any extra driving to add a few research days to the trip. The Grand Wayne Convention Center in Ft. Wayne, Indiana is just a short walk from the famed Genealogy Center at the Allen County Public Library


ACPL is a wonderful facility. I spent two days there last fall and look forward to returning for a couple more days in August. My plan is to spend Monday and Tuesday there before FGS starts on Wednesday. I suspect I won't be alone. 

At this point I haven’t given much thought to what I’ll research but I’ll have that worked out before I head to Ft. Wayne. On my previous visit, I devoted some time to their extensive periodical collection but didn't get around to their impressive collection of family histories. Whatever else I decide on, that will be part of my plan this time. 

Deciding on which conference sessions to attend is always difficult because there are so many great topics and speakers on the schedule. Sorting the list by tracks can be helpful when trying to make those decisions because it's easier to see what is available in your areas of interest. A couple that are already on my definite list are Trousers, Beds, Tacks & Housekeeping Bills: Problem-solving with 'Trivial Details' by Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG and Whiskey, Brandy and Family Migration by J. Mark Lowe, CG, FUGA. Who could resist those titles?

Make plans now to attend FGS 2013 August 21–24 in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. Don't forget that you'll save $50 if you register by July 1


This post was written in response to the May/June prompt for FGS Ambassadors. If you're interesting in becoming an FGS Ambassador, it's not too late to register

No comments:

Post a Comment