Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Wedding Wednesday - John R. Petty and Margaret E. Thomas


Marriage License

State of Georgia Whitfield County
To any ordained Minister of the Gospel
Judge of the Superior court, Justice of the Inferior court,
or Justice of the Peace.
You are hereby authorized to join 
in the holy state of Matrimony, according to the constitution
and Laws of this State, and for so doing this shall be your
sufficient License.
Given under my Hand and Seal, this September 19
1857

W Gordon
Ordinary

I hereby certify that
John R Petty and Margaret E Thomas
were duly joined in Matrimony by me this 20 day of
September 1857

Vredenburg Thompson
J.P.

2 comments:

  1. Inferior court? I've never heard of that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura - I believe the Inferior Court handled probate, civil matters and minor criminal offenses.

      Delete