Monday, February 20, 2012

Amanuensis Monday - Will of William Hankins


The will of William Hankins was proven in Frederick County, Virginia on 4 Jun 1782.



In the name of God Amen I William Hankins of the County of Fredrick and Colony of Virginia former being very Sick and Week in body but of Perfect mind and Memory thanks be given unto God Calling to mind the Mortality of my body and knowing that it is appointed for all men once to die I do make and Ordain this my Last Will and Testement That is to say Principally and first of all I Give and Recommend my soul to the hand of Almighty God that gave it and my body I recommend to the Earth to be buried in a Desent Christian manner at the discretion of my Executors nothing doubting but at the General Resurection I Shall receive the same again by the Mighty Power of God and as ??????? such Worldly estate Wherewith it has pleased God to bless me in this life I give dismiss and dispose of the Same in the following manner First I give and bequeath to my beloved Wife Jane Hankins two cows and her thirds of all the Movable Estate her Life time and my Land I leave to my three Youngest sones Abel Asa Amases Hankins when they Come of age to be Sold and Equally divided amongst them unless Either of them Shall Chose to keep it and pay the others
I also Give and bequeath to my Son John Hankins one horse or Mare and two yearling calvs one ew and lamb and one weather [wether*] I also Give and bequeath to my Son Richard Hankins one horse or Mare two yearling calvs one ew and lamb and one weather [wether] I also Give and bequeath to my Son Abel Hankins one ewe and lamb and one third of my Land unless it is Sold and the money divided I also Give and bequeath to my son Asa Hankins one ew and lamb and an Equal Portion of the Land or Money I also Give and bequeath to my Son Moses Hankins one ew and lamb and and his Sheer of the Land or money I also Give and bequeath to Eldest Son William Hankins the some of one Shilling Sterling I also now leave the rest of my Estate to the Discretion of my Executors to pay all my debts and funarel Charges I also aknowledg this to be My Last Will and Testament as witness thereof I have Set my hand and Seal this Twenty fifth day of Frebruary 1782

William Hankins [signed by his mark]

I also appoint my beloved friends Peter Catlett and John Sherman Woodcock to be my Executors
Witnesses present
John Mead
Abraham Clevinger [signed by his mark]
John Sharp [signed by his mark]


*A few days ago when I was transcribing this will, I became stuck on an item that William was leaving to two of his sons. Both John and Richard were to receive one horse or mare, two yearling calves, one ewe, one lamb and one "weather." A weather? That made no sense to me. I tried searching but all I got was weather reports so I posted a clip of the will on Google+ and asked for help. It wasn't long before Carole Riley of Genealogy in New South Wales responded with the answer I needed. A "wether" is a castrated ram. Thanks again, Carole.  

An easier to read PDF copy of the will is here.

2 comments: