Monday, January 16, 2012

Amanuensis Monday - Will of Henry Lewis Goodloe

The will of Henry Lewis Goodloe was proven in Hopkins County, Kentucky court on 11 August 1856. 



I Henry Goodloe being of Sound Mind in the Name of Almighty God do make this my last will and Testament (in the presence of witness towit)

First I give and bequeath to my Beloved wife Elizabeth Goodloe Four hundred dollars to be hers during her natural Life and after her death to go to my son Henry L. Goodloe I also give and bequeath to my Said wife all my household and kitchen Furniture of Every description to be used by her as She may think proper

Second I give and bequeath to my Son Henry L Goodloe my Late farm and all the land I own to be for his use and benefit and to his heirs or assigns forever the Same having been deeded to him heretofore

third It is my will and desire that my Executors herein after named after my decease do Sell either privately or publickly as they may deem best all the residue of my property of every description and the proceeds arising from the Sale then of to be divided Equally between my Seven children not mentioned above Towit Thomas K. Goodloe Nancy Yates heirs Lucy Pritchett Polly Yates John E Goodloe Eliza Ann Hall and Jane Davis Said Funds to be for their use and benefit during their Natural Lives and after their death to their children forever

Fourth it is my will and desire that my Son Thomas K Goodloe act as agent for my wife in the investment of the money Left to her

Fifth and Last I do hereby nominate constitute and appoint my Two sons Thomas K and Henry L Goodloe Executors to this my Last will and Testament and request them to carry the Same into effect according to the Spirit and intention of the Same

In Testimony where of I have here unto Subscribed my name and affixed my Seal in the presence of witnesses the 2nd day of July A D 1856

[Signed by mark]

Signed and Sealed in presence of
W C Dimmett
J A Nisbet


An easier to read PDF copy of the Will is here

Several years ago, I copied this will from microfilm at the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives but parts of that copy were unreadable. Yesterday I checked the images of Kentucky Probate Records that FamilySearch added last year and was happy to find that their image was much better than what I had.  



No comments:

Post a Comment