Saturday, October 8, 2011

A Late in Life Marriage for Job Weeks

When I visited Pope County, Illinois last month to research my Weeks ancestors, I found something unexpected. Job Weeks, my 5th great-grandfather, got married again just before he turned 71 years old. I say again because Job had two children that I know about (both probably born in the late 1700's). I have no idea who their mother was but it's pretty likely she was a much earlier wife.

On 25 Apr 1826, a marriage license was issued in Pope County for Job Weeks and Mrs. Mary Reed, widow.


Job and Mary were married five days later on the 30th. The ceremony was performed by J. H. Smith, Justice of the Peace - possibly the same J. H. Smith who later became the administrator of Job's estate. (Yes, that means I also found Job's estate papers. More about that and Job later.)



Source:
Pope County, Illinois, Marriage Records, Book A: pgs 27 and 92, Weeks-Reed, 1826; County Clerk's Office, Golconda.

No comments:

Post a Comment