Thursday, June 23, 2011

Those Places Thursday - My Old Kentucky Home

Just to be clear, it's not actually "my" old Kentucky home, it's THE My Old Kentucky Home.

Originally known as Federal Hill, the home of John Rowan was built between 1795 and 1818. Rowan was a lawyer and prominent politician serving as Kentucky's Secretary of State, a judge in the Court of Appeals, a Representative in the Kentucky House and a United States Senator. He also served as president of the Kentucky Historical Society from 1838 until his death in 1843. Stephen Collins Foster was said to be a cousin of the Rowans and, according to legend, Federal Hill inspired him to write "My Old Kentucky Home." Three generations of the Rowan family lived at Federal Hill until the property was sold in 1922 to the Commonwealth of Kentucky. It became a state park in 1936.









Photography is not allowed inside the house but there are more photos of the grounds from my June 17 visit here


3 comments:

  1. Loved looking at your photos. Thanks for sharing them Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pics, Linda! I'm going to put this on my list of places to visit.

    ReplyDelete