Thursday, February 17, 2011

Blogging Pays - Petty Research

Last week I wrote a 4-part series on Searching for John R. Petty's Parents and it's already paid off. Sunday I received an e-mail from someone who read those posts. He knew who John Petty's daughters, Martha and Angeline, married and their locations in 1870 and 1880. This information doesn't prove that my John R. was the older John Petty's son but it definitely puts more pieces of this family together and I'm convinced that will eventually lead to a solid determination that John R. belonged to it. And if it doesn't, it will at least be helpful for my Petty research buddy who is descended from one of John's known sons.

My contact said that Martha Jane Petty married John W. Martin on 23 Apr 1867 in Whitfield County, Georgia and that Martha Jane was John Petty's daughter. He went on to say that John W. Martin apparently died before 1880 and Martha married John Erwin Martin on 28 May 1882 in Whitfield County (any relationship between the two Martins is unclear). John Erwin Martin was the 2nd great-grandfather of my contact so he's not even related to the Petty family but, lucky for me, he knew something about Martha. He also said that Angeline Petty married Wiley Long and that John Petty was living with Martha and Angeline in 1880 in Whitfield County. Census records and a Georgia marriage index back-up this information and I'll get into more details about that another day.

After getting the e-mail about Martha and Angeline, my Petty research buddy and I have done some more digging. We have found several more leads and possibilities for the Petty family. It's amazing what one e-mail can open up. I really appreciate getting this information. I should also add that having a research buddy is a good thing. We live in opposite ends of the country and have never met but we're making progress.

If you know anything about John Petty or his children, please leave a comment or e-mail me.

5 comments:

  1. That is fabulous Linda! Congrats! And, I agree, a research buddy is so helpful, and a LOT of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really great Linda! Glad you got that e-mail problem figured out and contact was being made even though you couldn't tell for a bit on your end. I agree about having a research partner. I lost most of my long time partners to death last year and am now left with three who have seemingly lost interest in the chase. My geneablogger friends sure keep me from being lonely though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would know so much less about my ancestors without my research buddies. Excellent post - we can't do it all alone, and it's more fun to have a buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great. Thanks for sharing!

    Astrid

    ReplyDelete