Friday, August 20, 2010

FGS 2010 - Day 2

It's been a great day but a long one so this is going to be short.

I started the day by skipping the 8 AM session. Anyone who knows me isn't surprised by that. I still managed to get in 5 sessions (although one can't be discussed) and some time in the Exhibit Hall.

I made 4 great choices today with "Planning Reasonably Exhaustive Research" presented by Thomas W. Jones, "The Genealogist as CSI" presented by George G. Morgan, "Murder at the Sawmill" presented by Pamela K. Sayre and "The Genealogical Proof Standard in Action!" presented by Elizabeth Shown Mills. All four of these sessions had a common thread of preparing and executing a research plan but none of them seemed like a duplication of the other. There were some very interesting case studies presented and I actually made some notes related to specific issues in my own tree.

Over the course of the day, I attended sessions with fellow bloggers - Greta Koehl, Tina Lyons, Tonia Kendrick, Jennifer Trahan and Amy Coffin. They are all blogging about the conference so check out what they are saying. Tina, Tonia, Jennifer and I walked a few blocks to Market Square for lunch then headed back to the Convention Center for some time in the Exhibit Hall before the afternoon sessions started and after the sessions we all went back to the Exhibit Hall for the door prize drawings. (Greta won a prize.)

At 7:00 we went to the War of 1812 Bicentennial Celebration Reception sponsored by FamilySearch. FGS and the National Archives have started a project to digitize the War of 1812 pension records. Learn about that project and how your donations can help on the FGS website.

See GeneaBloggers for a compiled listing of posts about FGS 2010. 

1 comment:

  1. It was fun sitting and talking with all of you. Hope I have some sessions in common with you all tomorrow. (I'm so behind - will probably post tomorrow about todays' events.)

    ReplyDelete