Saturday, May 29, 2010

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Relationship Calculator

It's Saturday night so that means Randy Seaver over at Genea-Musings has posted this week's mission for some Genealogy Fun:

1) Open up the genealogy software program of your choice.
2) Think about two special people in your family tree (your parents? your spouse? a famous person? a distant cousin? yourself?).
3) Use the Relationship Calculator in the software to determine the relationship between the two special people. If you don't know where to find the Relationship Calculator, go to the Help button and find out. Follow the directions!
4) Tell us about it in a blog post on your own blog, in a comment to this post on my blog, or in a Note or comment on Facebook.


I use Legacy Family Tree 7.4. The Relationship Calculator is found under the Tools menu and is also on my tool bar. There is a setting in Legacy that displays the relationship between you (or another person of your choice) and everyone in the database so when I am looking at a person's record I see their relationship to me (multiple relationships are indicated by a + and you need to go to the relationship calculator to see the others).


Just for the fun of it, I did two:

1) Benedict Arnold (yes, The Benedict Arnold) is my 4th cousin, 8 times removed. The Relationship Calculator shows our common ancestor and the line of descent for both of us. All I know about our common ancestor is the surname Arnold but I do know that Benedict's 2nd great-grandfather, William Arnold, and my 10th great-grandmother, Joanna Arnold, were siblings. (Screen shot below is the Relationship Calculator window.)



2) Dabney Carr is my 1st cousin 7 times removed. Dabney was a close friend of Thomas Jefferson and was also his brother-in-law, having married Jefferson's sister, Martha. Dabney and Martha are buried in the cemetery at Monticello.

Legacy allows the line of descent between two people to be printed (if there are multiple relationships any or all of them can be printed). The report below shows my relationship to Dabney Carr and only includes names but there are options to include birth/death years, full birth/death dates, marriage dates and/or pictures.





No comments:

Post a Comment