Monday, February 15, 2010

Winter 2010 GB Games - Progress Report #3

Monday (Feb. 15th) was Day 3 of the competition. Here's the list of categories and the tasks I've completed so far:

1. Go Back and Cite Your Sources. (Bronze Medal earned so far)
Create proper citations of sources for as many events possible using either "Evidence Explained" by Elizabeth Shown Mills or "How to Cite Sources" by John Wiley.
Started this task on 2/14 but didn't complete enough for medal status. Now up to 11 new citations (attached to 56 events).

2. Back Up Your Data. (Gold Medal earned so far)
Task C - completed 2/14 (actually completed everyday) 

3. Organize Your Research.
Looks like I'm ignoring this category. I don't mean to but that's probably why this is my worst event. I have some things in mind and I'll start on them soon. Probably. Maybe. 

4. Expand Your Knowledge. (Gold Medal earned so far)
Task A - completed 2/13
Task B - completed 2/14 
Task E: Create a surname visualization using Wordle, Word It Out or a similiar application. Post the graphic to your blog.
Used Wordle to create the surname visualization below. Also added it to my surname page.





5. Write, Write, Write. (Diamond Medal earned so far)
Task C - completed 12/13 
Task D: Write a brief biographical sketch on one of your ancestors.
Wrote and posted article about my great grandfather, Thomas Leander Hankins.
Task E - completed 12/13
Task F - completed 12/13

6. Reach Out and Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness. (Silver Medal earned so far)
Task A: Comment on a new (to you) genealogy blog. 
Commented on Granny's Genealogy. She has a great post for the Google Maps challenge. 
Task G: Use the Follow feature on a Blogger-based genealogy blog and follow one or more blogs.
Went through the Winter Games participants and added everyone I wasn't already following. Looks like lots of good additions to my blog reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment