Sunday, February 14, 2010

Winter 2010 GB Games - Progress Report #2

Sunday (Feb. 14th) was Day 2 of the competition. The easiest way to keep track of my progress seems to be a cumulative list but the new information is in red and blue.

Here's the list of categories and the tasks I've completed so far:


1. Go Back and Cite Your Sources.
Create proper citations of sources for as many events possible using either "Evidence Explained" by Elizabeth Shown Mills or "How to Cite Sources" by John Wiley.
Started working on this category this evening but so far only have 4 new citations written (although I attached those 4 to 32 items/events) so no medal earned yet. Expected this one to be a slower process than some of the others. 

2. Back Up Your Data. (Gold Medal earned so far)
Task C: Backup all your data using a flash drive, an external drive, CD's, DVD's or an online resource.
I could have added this to yesterday's list but completely overlooked it because I didn't have to actually do anything. I've used Mozy's online backup service for a couple of year now. It's set up to run everyday at 6:00 p.m. to back up all my genealogy related data (Legacy database files, photos, documents, digital books, website files etc.), e-mail, Documents folder and non-genealogy photos. I currently have 36.1 GB of files backed up by Mozy. 

So that's Gold Medal status without any work but I think I can do better in this event.

3. Organize Your Research. 

4. Expand Your Knowledge. (Silver Medal earned so far)
Task A - completed 2/13
Task B: Create a timeline related to one of your lines of research, a specific ancestor or location.
I created a couple of timelines for an ancestor using two different programs and posted about them here.

5. Write, Write, Write. (Gold Medal earned so far)
Task C - completed 12/13 
Task E - completed 12/13.
Task F - completed 12/13

6. Reach Out and Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness.

3 comments:

  1. You're doing great, so far! I like your flag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your blog on the Olympics listing and have added my name to your followers list. Good luck from Linda at Flipside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Tonia - I added my name to your followers earlier today. Linda - I have been following you already.

    ReplyDelete