Thursday, February 25, 2010

Winter 2010 GB Games - Progress Report #13

Thursday (Feb. 25rd) was Day 13 of the competition. One more day to go. Here's the list of categories and the tasks I've completed so far:

1. Go Back and Cite Your Sources - PLATINUM MEDAL
Completed 50 new source citations.

2. Back Up Your Data - PLATINUM MEDAL
Task E: Completed (Maybe. See post " Let's Talk About Data Backup")

3. Organize Your Research. (Gold Medal earned so far) Nothing accomplished in this category today.
Task A: Organize at least 20 hard files or ancestral items into folders, boxes, envelopes, containers, etc.
15 completed on 2/24.  
Task B: Organize at least 20 digital files into folders, label, add metadata, add descriptions, add tags, etc.
6 files completed 2/18 & 2/24. 

Task C - completed 2/19 
Task D - completed 2/18 and 2/23 
Task E - completed 2/22 

4. Expand Your Knowledge - PLATINUM MEDAL 
Task A - completed 2/13
Task B - completed 2/14 
Task C - completed 2/16
Task D - completed 2/16  
Task E - completed 2/15  

5. Write, Write, Write - PLATINUM MEDAL
Task A - completed 12/19 
Task C - completed 12/13 
Task D - completed 2/15 
Task E - completed 12/13
Task F - completed 12/13

6. Reach Out and Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness - PLATINUM MEDAL
Task A - completed 2/15 
Task B: Post one or more gravestone photos at Find A Grave.
Added 14 photos. I have to say that Find A Grave is one of the best free sites for genealogy. According to their stats, I've added 161 photos (counting today's) and manage 81 memorials but I still have lots of headstone photos that I should add. I've found numerous photos that were helpful to my research and have had researchers in Georgia, Kansas, Illinois and Florida fill requests for me. In return I try to fill requests for cemeteries in my area as often as possible. If you are taking a research trip and plan to visit any cemeteries it's always a good idea to check for Find A Grave requests that you can fill while you are there.
Task C - completed 2/19 
Task D: Assist another researcher with a research request or lookup.
Sometimes you don't even have to leave your computer to fill a request for another researcher. I've been waiting for the weather to clear so I could make some headstone photos to fill requests for local cemeteries posted on Find A Grave. The weather still isn't cooperating so today I checked several cemeteries I have photos from in my collection and found 3 requests for headstone photos I already had. 
Task F - completed 2/19
Task G - completed 2/15 

No comments:

Post a Comment