Sunday, February 14, 2010

Winter 2010 GB Games - Progress Report #1

Saturday was the 1st day of competition and I spent most of it out of town attending a genealogy workshop so got a late start. (I re-read the tasks several times trying to figure out a way to count attending the workshop toward a medal but no luck.)

For a detailed list of the 6 competition categories and the tasks for each one see the GeneaBloggers Site.

Here's the list of categories and the tasks I've completed so far:

1. Go Back and Cite Your Sources.

2. Back Up Your Data. 

3. Organize Your Research. 

4. Expand Your Knowledge.
Task A: Use Google Maps to map out an ancestral location. Create a map that you can embed into a blog post.
I created a map of the 8 locations where my great grandparents, John & Emma Jane Taylor, lived during their marriage and posted it in a blog article titled "52 Weeks To Better Genealogy - Challenge #7".

5. Write, Write, Write. 
Task C: Prepare several posts in draft mode and pre-publish them.
This is a function of blogger that I often use. I already had the next two Surname Saturday's scheduled so tonight I added a Tombstone Tuesday and Wordless Wednesday for next week.
Task E: Create a page on your blog listing surnames, Ahnentafel reports or using some other topic.
I already had a surname page so I added an Ahnentafel Chart going through my 4th great grandparents.
Task F: Participate in a 52 Weeks To Better Genealogy Challenge.
Challenge #7 of the 52 Weeks series involves playing with Google Maps and basically learning to use it as a Genealogy Tool. This task is also covered by the map created for "Expand Your Knowledge" listed above.

So, Gold Medal level is already met for Category #5 and my goal had only been for Silver. There are three more tasks and two more medal levels in this event so maybe I can get to Platinum.

6. Reach Out and Perform Genealogical Acts of Kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment